Pages

7/28/2011

Review of Jeremy's commentary on the hopes of the Democratic Party

In his blog “Hope for the Democratic Party of Texas”, Jeremy Schmidt asks if there is a chance of the Democratic Party of Texas to regain its former glory.  I have to agree with Jeremy’s assessment.  The Democratic Party of Texas is in dire straits now and for some time to come.  It isn’t that they couldn’t easily take back their former position, or at least even things up a bit, it is that they aren’t willing to make the compromises necessary.  Jeremy does a great job of pointing out how the infighting of the Democratic Party is keeping it from lining up on key issues.  He also confronts the fact that the Democratic Party has no real organization which will lead to less likelihood of ever getting the funding and communication to the public necessary to mount a comeback.
Jeremy’s final hope for the party is a win by default.  Maybe Perry will get caught up in a scandal or the voters will backlash from the recent republican cuts to services and education.  Although a funny thought, it isn’t far from the truth.  Unless the Democratic can come in from the far left and get on the same page, they will be sitting in the back row watching legislation being made with no hope of representing their constituents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

My photo
I consider myself to be an independent. One of the formative moments in establishing my political point of view was the 1992 Presidential election. Perot’s ability as third party candidate to influence the outcome of the election intrigued me. I had been discharged from the Army after serving in the gulf war. The GOP, in an effort to cut spending, cut my reenlistment bonus and eliminated my job. This showed me the contrast between what the political parties say publicly then do in chambers. In 1994 I ran for and was elected to the position of Student Trustee of my college. In this role, I sat on the Board of Trustees as a representative of the student body. I learned that even the government has limited resources for which they must make wise choices to be effective. After graduating I left my home state of NY to find work. Technical jobs had moved out of the state. I contribute most of this to exorbitant taxes and costly labor unions. I found a job in NC, where corporations had moved for less taxes and lower wages. Little did I know, this movement would continue to evolve to today's standard where the lowest taxes and labor costs are in countries like China and India.

Popular Posts