Pages

7/20/2011

Cooper's "Oh, To Be Poor in America" is spot on

In his article, “Oh, To Be Poor in America”, Robbie Cooper contrasts what Americans consider to be impoverished to the reality of what poor means in rest of the world.  The first thing that caught my eye was the picture of a woman sitting in front of a big screen television.  The quote under the picture reads, “"I might be poor but I don't like to live poor. I thank God for a place to live, but it's pitiful what people give you."  This reminds me of the time people from my wife’s workplace were complaining they didn’t get a refund check after they paid $0 in taxes that year.  To them, it wasn’t fair that we were receiving $600 back from our $20K in taxes, and they were not getting anything back from their $0 payment.  Logic just doesn't work with some people.
The next thing that stands out in this article is a large chart showing the amenities owned by American households.  At least 75% of American households own a refrigerator, television, stove, air conditioner, microwave, clothes washer, cable or satellite TV, DVD, clothes dryer, more than one TV, Cordless phone and of course a cellular phone.  Cooper uses this example of what people living below the poverty line as defined by the Census Bureau have in contrast to truly impoverished countries like Afghanistan, Ethiopia and Mexico.  The author states that he has been to places where children beg for food and truly have nothing.  Given his biography as a former military member, I can relate to this type of past experience.  Cooper does go on to speak about people who truly are in need of the basic necessities of life.  But the article’s main focus is on America’s current overstated definition of poverty.
Overall, the article is well supported by facts and does a good job of giving the reader another perspective on the entitlement problem the poor in America have.  This is something the nation and each state will need to tackle in the near future.  Although we need to put a price on the resources that made rich people rich in our country by raising taxes on the extremely rich and corporations, we also need to get a grip on what people truly need to survive versus what we want to give lazy people who don’t want to work.  I agree with Mr. Cooper and hope that more people will educate themselves about the plight of the lazy poor in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

My photo
I consider myself to be an independent. One of the formative moments in establishing my political point of view was the 1992 Presidential election. Perot’s ability as third party candidate to influence the outcome of the election intrigued me. I had been discharged from the Army after serving in the gulf war. The GOP, in an effort to cut spending, cut my reenlistment bonus and eliminated my job. This showed me the contrast between what the political parties say publicly then do in chambers. In 1994 I ran for and was elected to the position of Student Trustee of my college. In this role, I sat on the Board of Trustees as a representative of the student body. I learned that even the government has limited resources for which they must make wise choices to be effective. After graduating I left my home state of NY to find work. Technical jobs had moved out of the state. I contribute most of this to exorbitant taxes and costly labor unions. I found a job in NC, where corporations had moved for less taxes and lower wages. Little did I know, this movement would continue to evolve to today's standard where the lowest taxes and labor costs are in countries like China and India.

Popular Posts